We chat with special guest Gabriel Weinberg of DuckDuckGo. We cover the full gamut from bootstrapping, VC, competing against Google, Perl, privacy, advertising, remote work, finding customers, biz dev and Gabriel’s new book Traction.
Download this episode, in which Ian and Andrey discuss anchor celebrities, parenting, Larajobs, fake snow, product hunt, donationware, Uberdeck, consulting retainers, the costs of opening up an office.
- Dave Hicking
- Bootstrapping a job board to $5,000 in revenue
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio?
- Setting up an office for a software company
This episode is sponsored by Linode
This week we have special guest Jeffrey Way. We talk about how he’s bootstrapped Laracasts, how he got started in Laravel, the philosophy behind Laracasts, pricing, hiring, building a personal brand, supporting open source, how to make a great screencast, working for The Man.
Thanks to this weeks sponsor: Linode
Download this episode, in which Ian and Andrey discuss taking a vacation while bootstrapping, the craziness of Hacker News, LaraJobs, Scribbleton, installing desktop software, mods, git, pity purchases, Linux desktop apps, Walmart, the new square BlackBerry, Commodore 64, consulting work, how much it costs to build an app, shutting down a SaaS that isn’t performing, who handles support, bad web hosting, Martha’s Vineyard, American Presidents, Ian posting Scribbleton on Hacker News and causing trouble.
This episode is sponsored by FusionInvoice — 20% 0ff for our listeners.
This episode is also sponsored by Linode .
Ian’s (non-life threatening) health issues, delaying the Bootstrapped Conference, quarters as a service, app translation, LaraJobs, what we’d do if we had to work someplace else, Scribbleton update, twitter as protocol.
- Level Up Conference
- MacDowell Colony
- Washboard.co – Even the goodbye letter is weird, don’t miss the video.
In this episode, we sit down with the developers of Userscape; Eric Barnes, Chris Fidao, and Taylor Otwell, to talk about weird dreams, Eric’s, Chris’ and Taylor’s backgrounds and how they got started at Userscape, supporting open source, Forge, newsletters, servers, building Scribbleton for Linux, content-based products, deploying desktop apps, and TV shows
- Userscape – About Us
- Eric Barnes – blog, Wardrobe CMS, Laravel News
- Chris Fidao – Servers for Hackers
- Taylor Otwell – Laravel, Forge
- Video of Ian’s talk from Laracon: Open Source & Your Business
This episode is sponsored by Linode.
This week we talk about Scribbleton, Sponsor us!, Rails apps, The Bootstrapped.fm Conference, semi-obscure Seinfeld references, Apple WWDC, Beats and Jimmy Ionvine, and much much much more!
- Apple WWDC Keynote
- Sponsor Bootstrapped.fm!
- Bootstrapped.fm Conference!
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
- The Boyfriend (Seinfeld)
- Recode/Jimmy Iovine interview
- Wil Wheaton
In this episode, we talk about Laracon, holding a conference in New York, Snappy Concierge, experimental coding, Scribbleton, the Mac app store, the Bootstrapped.fm conference, managing product websites, and disruptive businesses.
- The Bootstrapped.fm Conference
- Snappy Concierge
- Ada Lovelace and Edsger Dijkstra
- Dijkstra – Discipline in Thought (video)
- Cliffski’s strategic risks and opportunities (for Positech)
If you’d like to sign-up to be notified about the details of the Bootstrapped.fm conference, you can do so on the conference page at http://conference.bootstrapped.fm
If you’d like to participate in the discussion surrounding the conference dates, venues, speakers, location, etc, we’ve set up a forum thread for that.
In this episode we discuss talking at conferences, Star Wars, and sci-fi, video games, Ludum Dare and game dev competitions, the current Antair project list, user interfaces for kids’ apps, Scribbleton, multi-platform development, Snappy, domain registrars, and the Oculus Rift for virtual offices.
- Rachel Andrew – Conference speaking, transparency and fairness.
- Draplin Design Co. – the talk Ian referred to in the show.
- Mike Rowe TED Talk
- Rendezvous with Rama
- A Dark Room (web version) - and the iOS version
- Pug vs. Nemo – Andrey’s Ludum Dare entry.
- #LOWREZ JAM 2014
- Gail Goodman – The Long, Slow, SaaS Ramp of Death
- Heavy Rain - and the VR glasses video.
This week we discuss profanity, Microconf, Peersconf, business evolution, Andrey Do-gooder, product trials, Notch and motivation beyond money, Minecraft, multiple saas apps, acquiring products and building vs buying, coder vs marketer, Andrey should do an ebook
- Stampy Minecraft videos
- UI Breakfast
- Ian’s Microconf slides
- MicroISV From Vision to Reality
- Andrey’s Dr.Dobbs article
- NYT Now
- Long Island Herald
- Drip email marketing
- So You Want to Be a Wall Street Programmer