Bootstrapped, Episode 4, “The customer is seldom right”

Download this episode, in which Ian and Andrey cover a host of issues, including an apology of sorts to Patrick McKenzie, a discussion on if in fact the customer is always right, how you support .99 cent apps, non-mistakes from Ian’s past, VC funding and an extremely important tax tip!


8 thoughts on “Bootstrapped, Episode 4, “The customer is seldom right””

  1. Hey! Thanks for the nod in the podcast. For the record I’d take money from nail salons any day of the week.

    Love the podcast. Ian thanks for supporting Laravel, it really is clean and classy!


  2. I think you’re underrating the impact of VC money. It’s not so much that they just give you cash as they will help you get that $100 million deal. It’s basically a formula like this:

    Bootstrapped – Higher likelihood of small success
    VC – Smaller likelihood of huge success

    So you have say a 70% chance of getting to $5 million bootstrapped, or a 30% chance of getting to $100 million with VC. There are few examples of 9 figure companies that never took any funding. There are definitely positives to both approaches depending on what you are looking for in life.

    1. As I mentioned in the episode, my understanding of the VC world is far too naive for me to be able to intelligently comment on any of it in depth, but, my suspicion is that this “we’ll help you get big deals and reach big people” thing, happens much less frequently than the VCs would have you believe.

  3. @Arie No problem, keep it up

    @Pierre no problem, Laravel is the best (obviously!)


    I agree with Andrey that of course they talk about all the successful ones and you hear much less about the failures. I think they’re primarily a checkbook, though I’m sure some are better than others at the help part of it.

    I do agree that when it comes time to sell that’s what they do and they want a big return so they’re likely very helpful at that point, but you know that’s a long way from here 🙂

  4. Loving the show guys, keep up the great work.
    Also, thanks for the documentary recommendations – great to watch people play the lottery! 🙂

    @Andrey I’m not sure if you’ve seen it, but I also recommend Indie Game: The Movie:

    @Ian You mentioned that you’d consider open-sourcing HelpSpot. Perhaps discuss the possibility that Snappy will not gain the traction you had hoped (and loses the majority of its current user-base), what would UserScape do in that scenario? Flog it until it’s dead?Move on to new products and start the whole process all over?

    1. Hi Niall.

      I have seen Indie Game the Movie. It’s great, though I’m not sure if I’d be able to watch it in the background while coding; it’s a bit too much with all the emotions. I’ll definitely mention it in the next episode!


  5. I’ve also seen Indie Game, pretty good. That world is crazy to me though.

    Yeah, that would be a good topic. I’ll add it to the list!

Comments are closed.